Most of the delicious ingredients I used in this bread recipe come from my home county of Waterford (The Deise), hence the name.
The bread is healthy, gluten free and vegan and uses Chia Bia products and Flavahans Oats, but can be made with other brands.
Ingredients: Makes 1 medium loaf
Adapted from the Happy Pear recipe Gluten Free Bread from their Recipes for Happiness cookbook
1 tbsp Milled chia seed or ground flax seed (Chia Bia)
3 tbsp water
400g Non dairy yogurt (Alpro Coconut Yogurt)
1 tbsp Sweetener of choice (Agave, maple syrup or molasses)
200g Oat Flakes (Flavahans Organic Jumbo or Gluten Free Oats)
100g Chia Flour (if you haven’t got chia flour just use 300g of oat flakes)
2 tsp Bicarbonate of soda
4 tbsp Mixed seeds (Chia Four Seeds or pumpkin/sunflower/sesame etc.)
¼ tsp salt
• Preheat the Oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4
• Line a 450g or 950g loaf tin with baking parchment or use a silicon loaf ‘tin’
• Make your chia egg by combining the milled chia seed and water, Stir and leave to sit for 3-4 minutes
• Put yogurt, chia egg and sweetener into a large mixing bowl and stir well
• Mix together the dry ingredients in another bowl
• Add the dry mixture to the yogurt mixture and stir through well. It will be a wet mixture, but will dry when baked.
• Put the mixture into the baking time and put it into the pre-heated oven for 1 hour.
• The mixture will brown and rise
• Allow to cool before slicing and enjoy with your favourite toppings